PCOS & Nutrition
WHAT IS PCOS?
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a common and treatable cause of infertility. PCOS is a hormonal disorder affecting 1 in 10 women of reproductive age. Three primary diagnosis of this hormonal balance are: absence of ovulation, high levels of androgens and/or ovarian cysts.
Symptoms of PCOS
- Irregular menstrual cycle- no menstrual periods, frequently missed periods, very heavy periods
- Excess hair growth on face, chin, belly or parts of the body where men usually have hair, a condition called hirsutism.
- Acne that is severe, late onset or persistent located on the face, chest and upper back.
- Thinning hair or hair loss
- Weight gain, obesity or difficulty losing weight, especially around the waist
- Pelvis pain
- Oily skin
- Darkening of skin, or skin tags located along neck creases, groin, underneath breasts and arm pits
Complications of PCOS
- Infertility, miscarriages
- High blood pressure
- Unhealthy cholesterol
- Sleep Apnea
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Depression and eating disorders
- Cancer of the uterine lining
TREATMENT OF PCOS
PCOS Solutions is a program specifically designed to evaluate, treat and manage patients diagnosed with PCOS. JCRM is committed to the treatment and management of this condition. We understand that no two cases of PCOS are exactly alike. JCRM works closely with each patient to determine the best treatment plan for that individual by offering a comprehensive evaluation for all PCOS patients. Patients may be seeking pregnancy or in need of a treatment plan to reduce the long- term health complications of PCOS.
Nutrition is the one of the best ways to treat PCOS. JCRM embraces this approach as it can maximize your overall health and fertility success.
PCOS & Infertility -What to expect
- You will meet with a JCRM physician for a physical exam and review your medical history.
- Based on your symptoms one or more of the following may be prescribed:
- Blood testing hormone levels such as FSH, LH, estrogens and androgens
- Pelvic exam
- Biopsy of endometrial tissue
- Ovulation medications, from oral and injectable ovulation drugs to IVF.
- Insulin resistance medications
- You will meet with a provider for a PCOS Nutrition Consultation
- You will receive a customized plan that combines fertility treatments, dietary and exercise, guidance, weight management strategies and emotional support.
- You will receive ongoing fertility treatment coordination, planning and monitoring with your personal JCRM PCOS treatment team.
JCRM holds a Low Carb Support group every 4th Thursday the Southpoint location from 6:30-7:30 pm.
Visit Success Stories for personal PCOS stories.
Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis
Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes
The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution by Fredrick Hahn, Dr. Micheal & Mary Eades
Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price, DDS
The New Atkins For A New You by Dr. Eric Westman, Dr. Stephen Pinney, & Dr. Jeff Volek
Fat Chance by Dr. Robert Lustig
Fat Head directed by Tom Naughton
Food, Inc. directed by Robert Kenner
King Corn directed by Aaron Woolf
Sugar: The Bitter Truth by Dr. Robert Lustig
Regulate, Tax Sugar Like Alcohol, Tobacco? by 60 Minutes